CERTA Level 2 Award in Preparation for Work in Community Interpreting
Starting in January 2020
Fridays 10am-3pm for 11 weeks
Course fee: £195.20, or free to learners on means tested benefits
If you are interested in joining this course, you will need to come to an assessment session in December (date to be confirmed). To enrol for the assessment session:
- Go to www.wea.org.uk
- Click on “I know the course reference” and enter reference number C3843752
- Complete the form to create an account and enrol for the session.
If you have any problems enrolling, please call the WEA on 0300 303 3464 or contact the Centre.
The Level 2 Award is for students who are interested in community interpreting work in a voluntary or paid capacity in a range of settings, including housing, education, social care, welfare benefits, immigration and health. The Award is suitable for students who wish to gain knowledge and skills of community interpreting including the role of codes of practice, and learn about the settings where interpreters may be required to work.
To join this course, you must be a confident speaker of English and be fluent in at least one other language. You also need to be able to read and write English at Level 1.
After you finish this course, you may be able to go on to:
- Work – many of our learners move straight into work with interpreting agencies after completing the Level 2 course
- Volunteering – if you want to gain experience before looking for paid work, we will support you to find volunteer interpreting work at St John’s Centre or elsewhere
- Further study – if there is enough interest, we will be able to offer a Level 3 Community Interpreting course in 2020.
f you would like to enrol on our next course, please contact the Centre.